Tuesday, 18 June 2013

Checked umbrella

Tonight, the city around us felt like scenes from a film, one after another. The only thing that was left for us to do was wading into a fountain, because from the meeting point (the only classic cinema left in the centre) till the very goodbye kiss, it seemed like cloud nine again.

I recall the film stills: the intermittent pre-summer rain, the grey light that bathed the walls of the buildings, the silvery façade of the cathedral from below while we watched the silhouettes of drops fall through a lamp, all clashing with your cartoon-drawn smile and that half-broken checked umbrella that suited you perfectly. Like a classic comedic drama from the 60's. Nice dinner, too, but it's not the eel uramaki what I'll cherish the most, but the long, unexpected kiss-sprinkled walk home.

These moments... I hope I learn again how to enjoy them without the shadow hanging over me.