ACE: I'm trying to marry you. You want to marry me? I'm serious. I mean, I - I want to settle down. I want a family.
GINGER: You got the wrong girl, Sam. [...] I care about you - But I just don't have those kind of feelings for you. I'm sorry. I'm not in love with you.
GINGER: You got the wrong girl, Sam. [...] I care about you - But I just don't have those kind of feelings for you. I'm sorry. I'm not in love with you.
ACE: (Brushing cigarette
ash off his clothes)
I - I - I...
GINGER: Understand? I'm sorry.
ACE: No, I - I... mean... that can grow
as I - as long as there's a mutual
respect... that kind of thing can
grow. I'm realistic. I can accept
that. But, you know, what is...
What is love anyway? It's a... it's
a mutual respect. It's - it's a
devotion. It's a... it's a caring
from one person to another. And if
we could set up some kind of
foundation... based on that mutual
respect... I feel that eventually
you would care enough about me...
that I could live with that.
GINGER: If it doesn't work out. You know, if
it doesn't play out, then what happens
to me?
ACE: You know I'm doin' well now, and I'm
gonna do even better. And so, whatever
happens, if it doesn't work out
between us, I'm gonna make sure you're
okay for the rest of your life. And
if there are kids, especially, you
know, I'll take care of you better
than you'd ever imagine.
GINGER: What're you pitching
me, here?
ACE: Just what I said. You'll be set up
for the rest of your life. That I
can promise you. Want to take a chance?
- Casino (Martin Scorsese, 1995)